Family reunification

family reunification

The Spanish Immigration Law recognizes the right of foreigners that have been legally residing in Spain for a year and have requested -and obtained- permission to stay for at least another year to reunite with their families.

In our Law Firm, we understand how important your family is for you, thus our specialized group of attorneys can help you meeting all the legal requirements to bring your family to Spain by means of the family reunification process.

Family members opting for reunification

As stated before, in order to bring your family to our country through family reunification process, you must have been legally residing in Spain for one year and have renewed and extended your initial residence permit prior to the application for reunification.

Through the family reunification process, you are allowed to bring to Spain the following family members:

  • Your spouse or civil partner provided that you are not legally separated and that such marriage has not been conducted fraudulently.
  • Your underage or handicapped children.
  • Adopted underage or handicapped children.
  • Your spouse’s underage or handicapped children
  • Any other person or children provided that the applicant is their legal guardian, and that they are underage prior to the application process or handicapped, whether they are or not over 18.
  • Ascendants (parents, grandparents, etc) of the applicant or those of the spouse when they are in their care, or over 65. Base on humanitarian reasons, a residence permit might be granted for family members under 65 years old.

Applying for family reunification

You must issue a request for residence permit for reasons of family reunification in Spain for each family member you wish to bring to our country. In order to do so, you must appear before the corresponding Foreign Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) and present the following documents:

  • Spanish Family Book (Libro de familia), marriage certificate or birth certificates of each children proving the existing bond or relationship between each family member and the applicant.
  • Copy of the passport, travel document, or valid ID of the applicant and the people who will be coming to Spain.
  • Copy of your first residency permit, as well as your renewed residency card or corresponding statement demonstrating that it is being issued by the corresponding Authority.
  • Proof of employment and/or sufficient financial means to support your family’s expenses as well as your own including health care cover (if not included under Social Security System).
  • Written confirmation, according to the regulations, that you have an adequate place of residence according to the family’s needs. A rental contract or a property title is acceptable.
  • If you are applying to bring your spouse or partner, you will have to present a signed declaration confirming that you are not living in Spain with another spouse or partner

Remember that all documents must be translated into Spanish by a Certified Public Interpreter.

If you receive a positive answer from the Spanish authorities, your relatives should appear before the corresponding Embassy or Consulate in their country of origin to get their visa affixed on their passport. If on the contrary, your application has been denied, you may start a contentious-administrative appeal before the Superior Court of Justice of Madrid within two months following the date of notification.

Our Law Firm can assist you through the entire application process and indicate you all the necessary documentation to be submitted according to your case. Our attorneys have years of experience on this matter, thus guaranteeing you the best result in your application. Contact us and request our services to start your family reunification process

Recent Comments

"The legal consultation was really useful. Plus they helped me fulfilling my student visa application before going to Madrid. Thanks." – Kelly Mayer

"Thanks for helping me to reside legally in Spain. After residing legally for 3 years in the country, I was afraid that I couldn’t stay with my kids due to my recent divorce." – Jane Nyman

"Nice service, always there to help me with my application despite my poor Spanish." – Samuel Zammit

Privacy Policy Settings