Renewal of study permit

Renewal Study

If you are a non-EU national in possession of a student visa, you must know that your this permit can be renewed annually in order to continue your studies, investigation or internship program. It is important to remember that your application for renewal must be issued 60 days prior to its expiration date.

To renew your permit, you must submit several documents and appear before the corresponding Foreign Affairs or Immigration Office or any other competent Authority of the place where you will be residing during the studies. Therefore, it is extremely advisable to count with the adequate guidance and help to fulfill all the requirements properly. Our firm is ready to guide during the entire process thus avoiding any interruption of your studies, investigation or internship.

In order to apply for this permit you must submit the following requirements:

  • Photocopy of your passport or travel document and student visa.
  • Photocopy of the current enrollment in any academic, research or internship program. The length of time of such program can not be less than 3 months.
  • A favorable report of the adequate development of academic studies, investigations or internships in Spain. If you are carrying out studies or investigations in the territory of another Member State of the European Union, in the framework of temporary programs promoted by the Union itself, you may be able to fulfill such requirement by crediting it as well.
  • International Health and Medical Insurance that should cover a minimum of 30,000 Euros.
  • Evidence that you have enough money to finance yourself whether in Spain or in your home country by means of a bank statement proving that you have direct access to this money. This bank account is either on your name or on a parent/legal guardian’s name, in such case you will need to provide documentation that proves your relationship to them.
  • Photocopy of your Residence Card in force if your program is meant to last more than six months.*
In case of minors studying in Spain, they must submit a notarized letter from their parents or legal guardians stating that they are allowed to study in our country.

In case that you have changed your domicile recently, during the past two months, you must submit as well a temporary municipal registration certificate.

*Please note that you must request a Residence Card registered at the local Police Office (Policia Nacional) within one moth of entering into the country. It is valid for one year. If you have been studying in Spain for a length of time superior to one year, remember to carry out the renewal of your Residence Card two months in advance prior to the expiration date.

You may wish to renew as well the Residence Card for those family members who are living with you in Spain while carrying out your studies, investigation or internship program. In such case, you must submit the following:

  • Photocopy of their passport or travel document
  • Photocopy of their Residence Card in force.
  • Photocopy of your passport or travel document and Residence Card.
  • A document proving that you have financial means to maintain yourself and your family members for the length of your stay.
Remember that this option is exclusively for spouse, civil partner, or underage children or disabled children. Please note that most of these documents must be translated into Spanish by a certified public interpreter. Most of the Spanish Consulates or Embassies have a list of them.

Fulfill all the abovementioned requirements might be time consuming but we can assure you that it’s worth it. How can we help you? We can help you to submit such requirements related to the renewal of your student visa -or even help you renewing your Residence Card-. Contact us our specialized staff will be glad to help you!

Recent Comments

"The legal consultation was really useful. Plus they helped me fulfilling my student visa application before going to Madrid. Thanks." – Kelly Mayer

"Thanks for helping me to reside legally in Spain. After residing legally for 3 years in the country, I was afraid that I couldn’t stay with my kids due to my recent divorce." – Jane Nyman

"Nice service, always there to help me with my application despite my poor Spanish." – Samuel Zammit

Privacy Policy Settings