If you are willing to come to Spain for tourism, visiting family and/or friends, Official Visit, cultural, sports, study, transit, medical reasons, business or any other activity in connection therewith, for a period of 3 months, you may apply for a short-term visa or Schengen Visa.

EU citizens, non-EU residents and visitors to the EU are able to freely and safely travel within most of EU countries thanks to the creation of “The Schengen Area”. This agreement is one of the most important issued by the European Union.

If you are a national from a European Union member state (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden or United Kingdom,) or Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland, you are entitled to free movement and residence in Spain for a period of three (3) months. If you are not, you will be asked to apply for a Schengen Visa.

After entering Spain and getting the entry stamp in your passport, you can freely move throughout the Schengen countries for 3 consecutive months. The same rule applies if you have scheduled closely separate trips to several Schengen countries. However, when your visa is near to expire you will be asked to leave the Schengen area.

In order to apply for a Schengen Visa, you must appear before, or through a duly accredited representative, at the Spanish Diplomatic Mission, Embassy or Consular Post of the place in which you legally reside. Please note that the in case of traveling to multiple Schengen countries, you should apply to the corresponding Consulate of the country where you will be staying for the longest period of time; otherwise, you should appear before the Consulate of the country which will be your first point of entry to the Schengen Area.

Depending on the Spanish Consulate of your country, the requirements might vary, but generally you will be asked to submit the following:

• Travel Document or Passport • Evidence that you have sufficient financial means • Means of transport or return ticket. • Proof of Medical Insurance Cover. • Invitation*

*Depending on the purpose of your visit, you may submit the following: o Visiting relatives or friends: Official Letter of invitation available at Police Stations in Spain and signed by the host. o Travelling as a tourist: confirmed hotel/hostel/B&B reservation(s) covering the whole duration of your stay in Spain. o Travelling on business: Letter from your employer explaining in detail the nature and duration of your stay in Spain.

Family members of a national of a Schengen country (spouse, child or dependent ascendant) are granted as well free movement in the Schengen area. The applicant, EU-EEA national, shall present documents to prove their relationship.

For younger applicants or minors, at least one parent or legal guardian must be present when applying for the visa. In all cases, the following documents must be submitted: Birth certificate (also stating the names of parents), legal custody if applicable, written consent signed by both parents for the travel intended; copy of parent’s identification and financial means.

Please note that most of these documents must be translated into Spanish by a certified public interpreter. Most of the Spanish Consulates or Embassies have a list of them.

The consulates have full authority to evaluate, approve, refuse and/or request additional documentation. The deadline for processing short-term (Schengen) visa applications is between 15 and 60 calendar days. In the event that a visa is denied, the applicant could enter a contentious-administrative appeal before the High Court of Justice of Madrid or, appeal for reversal before the same consulate within a month after the refusal notification date. Therefore, it is important to be guided or represented through the entire application process by an attorney expert in immigration law thus avoiding unnecessary refusals and delays. Contact our firm, our group of attorneys will be glad to help you!

Nie Number

Nie number

If you are in the process of acquiring a property, open a bank account, or set up a company, you may need to count with a NIE number. Our lawyers can apply on your behalf.‏
Residence spouse EU national

Residence spouse EU national

If you have married to an EU national recently or in the past years, and you both wish to live in Spain, you may need help to apply for a residence spouse EU national.
Spanish Nationality

Spanish nationality

If you are looking forward to recover your Spanish nationality, read the requirements herein and schedule a consultation with our attorneys to start your application.
Renewal Study

Canadian youth mobility

Canada and Spain have signed an agreement to promote Spanish and Canadian youth mobility for studies, internships and work. Our lawyers can help you meeting all the requirements.‏

Recent Comments

"The legal consultation was really useful. Plus they helped me fulfilling my student visa application before going to Madrid. Thanks." – Kelly Mayer

"Thanks for helping me to reside legally in Spain. After residing legally for 3 years in the country, I was afraid that I couldn’t stay with my kids due to my recent divorce." – Jane Nyman

"Nice service, always there to help me with my application despite my poor Spanish." – Samuel Zammit

Privacy Policy Settings