If you are a digital nomad and work remotely, you will be highly interested in reading this post. Finally, the new visa for digital nomads has been published in the BOE and now foreigners who wish to work remotely from Spain can now start their application for this new residence permit.
The visa for digital nomads is a residence permit that can be extended for a total of 5 years and that will allow non-EU citizens (from outside the European Union) to live and work remotely from Spain performing activities as a digital nomad.
Finally, foreigners who want to move to Spain and continue working for a company abroad, or who have clients all over the world, will find a residence permit that perfectly suits their needs, instead of having to end up applying for a non-profit visa that does not, in fact, allow them to work.
One of the great advantages of this residence is the double application option:
You can apply directly from Spain with a tourist visa, directly obtaining the 3-year card. But, on the other hand, it also allows you to obtain a 1-year visa from the country of origin (at the consulate) to be able to enter Spain and subsequently modify this 3-year card.
Do these years count to obtain your nationality?
Yes! The years with this 3-year card, and its subsequent renewals count both for Spanish nationality and for permanent residence, which you can get for 5 years as a remote teleworker in Spain.
Besides the tax advantages that we will explore later in this post, this permit will also allow you to include your spouse and children in the same application; thus being able to move with your family to Spain.
But that’s not all, because being framed within the Entrepreneurs Law, you will also benefit from an express resolution in just 20 days, and the applicable administrative silence is positive, so if you do not have a response within this period, the resolution is considered approved.
In addition, you will be able to move freely throughout the EU with this residence card.
As we have mentioned, this visa is aimed at non-EU citizens, since Europeans can work remotely for up to 6 months in the country, and if they wish to extend their stay, they only have to obtain their NIE as a resident.
Applicants can access a very favorable tax regime; offering greater flexibility to pay and access income tax for non-residents (the type of taxes they must pay since their economic center of interest is not in Spain).
It will allow digital nomads to pay only 24% on income derived from work up to €600,000; It will also save you the need to pay wealth tax or have to make the informative declaration known as model 720.
On the other hand, the conditions to access this reduced rate tax (the IRNR) are lowered, going from 10 to 5 years the required period of non-tax residence in the country.
This special tax regime can be requested up to 6 months after obtaining the residence authorization as a digital nomad; and may be enjoyed for 5 years.
Requirements to apply for a digital nomad visa.
- Proof that you are an international teleworker posted in Spain.
- Demonstrate that there is a continuous employment relationship of at least three months with the company for which you telework, in addition to demonstrating that your position allows teleworking and the company authorizes it.
- This company or companies with which the teleworker establishes a relationship must have been operating in the market for at least 1 year.
- Contract of at least 1 year with the company.
- The applicant’s academic and professional profile must be sufficient. Here are two options. First, have graduated from a prestigious university or business school; or demonstrate previous experience of at least 3 years.
- Demonstrate possession of sufficient financial funds. We are talking about €25,000, which you can demonstrate through a bank account (it can be a foreign bank account); or through the perception of a higher or equivalent salary.
In addition, we also find the general requirements applicable to the rest of residences:
- Provide your criminal record certificate with a minimum validity of 90 days.
- Submit a responsible statement of the absence of a criminal record in the last 5 years
- Not having the entry prohibited in Spain.
- Have private health insurance.
- Pay the fee 790 038.
- Complete the application form.
The visa for digital nomads as already been approved, and this means that you can now apply for this visa and benefit from its great advantages. If you need more guidance to apply for this visa we will happily help you with all the process, do not hesitate in contacting us!